Friday, June 3, 2011

Welcome to the VeloRedux blog!

Well, now I have my own little chunk of cyberspace so I too can share my views with the world.  While this blog is being started as a way to share pictures and stories from the road during an upcoming bicycle tour, I will keep it up as a way to share my thoughts, opinions and views, primarily on bicycles and cycling, but also on other topics as I feel the need.  The plan is to include plenty of pictures too.

Since the bike trip later this month is the motivator behind starting this blog, I will start with the basic plan behind the trip.  I love central and eastern Oregon, but it seems like I only get to pass through the Steens Mountain area.  Being blessed with a job that provides plenty of paid vacation and and understanding wife, I decided to take a couple of weeks to bicycle from my home near Molalla, OR to French Glen, traveling through the Painted Hills and the John Day fossil beds.  I am keeping the planning pretty loose, I have a route in mind, and more than enough time to get there so I can stop to smell the roses (or sagebrush and juniper more likely).

For the bike geeks, I am riding a Kona Sutra for this trip.  The Sutra is a steel framed, disk braked bike designed for loaded touring.  It is a bit on the heavy side, but stiff and stable under touring loads, and rugged enough for whatever may pass for a road on my travels.  Many touring riders shun disk brakes, but living in the Pacific NorthWet (yes, I meant to spell it that way) I can't imagine trying to tour with rim brakes.  Fenders are a must as well.  This bike is a fairly new purchase for me, so no major modifications so far.  I did replace the stock WTB saddle with my well-worn Brooks, and bolted on my pump of choice, the Topeak Road Morph.  A pair of Ortleib panniers for the front, sleeping bag and tent strapped to the back, and I am ready to roll.

One thing I should make clear:  None of the companies or brands I mention in this blog are (as of 6/3/2011) providing me with any compensation of any form.  Any opinions or product reviews are based on personal experience and observation, and will be as accurate and unbiased as I can make  them.  That said, if anyone in the bike industry wants to kick some sponsorship my way I will welcome it, but my opinions are still my own, and if your product doesn't work for me I will say so.

That is enough rambling for now.  I'll try to get some pictures for the next post, make this a little more interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment